The Maternal and Newborn Initiative (MANI) project is supporting Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) activities in six sub-counties in Bungoma County, Kenya. To date they have:
- Trained 259 health care providers in MPDSR from 42 facilities in August/September 2015.
- Helped to establish MPDSR committees at 42 facilities in September 2015. All 42 facility MPDSR committees have since met on a monthly basis
- Facilitate monthly supportive supervision visits to the 42 facilities
- Provided intensive support for MDRs and PDRs to the 2 highest volume facilities, both of which are CEmONC and account for a substantial percentage of deaths (74% of maternal deaths and 29% of the perinatal deaths in Bungoma county (Source KDHIS Jan-Dec 2015)
- Helped to establish six sub-county MPDSR committees. These are now all meeting on a quarterly basis.
- Since September 2015 to February 2016 100% of maternal deaths and over 51% of perinatal deaths have been reviewed and uploaded in the DHIS
- Some action points have been implemented
Update from Peter Kaimenyi, MANI Maternal and Newborn Health Advisor, and Sarah Barnett, MANI Technical Lead